I made this meal from Home Chef last night. It was pretty tasty, and low carb. I love kale salad of any kind so this was right up my ally. Home Chef is one of the first places I’ve heard the instructions to massage the kale, and it is one of my favorite tips. It really makes a difference in the texture and flavor.
One thing I would do differently though if I made this again on my own is to leave the minced rosemary out of the glaze, and also not use it as a garnish. But instead, when you are heating the oil in the pan to cook the chicken in, put a little extra oil and add the rosemary as it is warming, and keep it In the pan while the chicken cooks. If you don’t like the woody texture you can then remove the rosemary when the chicken is done cooking, before you add the glaze. If you put the minced rosemary in the glaze it never gets cooked, so when you are topping your meal during the plating process you are adding uncooked rosemary to your dish, which to many can be unpleasant. I would leave the raw rosemary garnish off as well, as inedible garnishes are a huge pet peeve of mine, although from the picture you can tell I gave it a shot. I would also suggest to not use as much bleu cheese that is suggested in the recipe.
Recipe from http://www.homechef.com below the pic.
- Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar (2.0 Tbsp)
- Honey (2.0 Tbsp)
- Kale (8.0 Oz)
- Bleu Cheese (3.0 Oz)
- Garlic Cloves (1.0 )
- Shallot (1.0 )
- Rosemary Sprigs (2.0 )
- Navel Orange (1.0 )
- Chicken Breasts (2.0 )
623 calories per serving
Prep the Vegetables
• Rinse, de-stem, and chop kale leaves.
• Rinse the orange and zest one half, then peel and divide into segments.
• Rinse the rosemary. Pick 8-10 leaves off bottom of rosemary sprigs and mince.
• Mince garlic.
• Thinly slice the shallot.
• Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry.
Prepare the Glaze
• Take half the orange zest and chop finely.
• In a clean mixing bowl, combine the fine zest, honey, and minced rosemary.
Sear the Chicken
• Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
• Warm 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
• Once oil is hot, add the chicken breasts. Sauté chicken for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
• Cut into chicken to ensure doneness (no pink should remain).
• Spoon half the glaze from the mixing bowl over the chicken while still in the pan (reserving remaining glaze for plating) and allow to cook for 1-2 more minutes.
• Remove chicken from pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Massage and Prepare the Kale Salad
• Whisk garlic, seasoned rice wine vinegar, remaining orange zest (reserving a bit for garnish), and 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a clean bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place kale and half the dressing in a large bowl and, with clean hands, massage kale with dressing for 3-5 minutes. Kale will soften and sweeten during this process. After massaging kale, add orange segments, sliced shallots, bleu cheese crumbles, and remaining dressing and toss. Salt and pepper to taste.
Plate the Dish
• Place a portion of rubbed kale salad on the plate.
• Top with a chicken breast and spoon remaining honey-rosemary glaze over the top of the dish.
• Garnish dish with a rosemary sprig and orange zest.