I made this for brunch today. I loved it. The recipe doesn’t call for it, but make sure you top the fritters with sea salt directly after frying them, you will be glad you did. Also, I recommend baking the bacon at 400 degrees instead of 375, 375 is a little low and will take much longer.
Recipe below the pic from http://www.homechef.com
- Baking Powder (1.0 Tsp)
- Green Onions (2.0 )
- Liquid Egg (4.0 Oz)
- Cheddar Cheese (2.0 Oz)
- Cilantro Sprigs (4.0 )
- Lime (1.0 )
- Jalapeño (1.0 )
- Ear of Corn (1.0 )
- Flour (0.5 Cup)
- Sour Cream (2.0 Oz)
- Bacon (6.0 Piece)
657 calories per serving
Prep the Vegetables
• Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
• Rinse and zest the lime. Cut lime in half. • Remove the husk from the corn, and using a sharp knife on a stable surface, carefully shave the kernels off the cob.
• Rinse and roughly chop the cilantro.
• Rinse and thinly slice the green onion.
• Rinse the jalapeño, remove the stem, membrane, and seeds, and dice remaining jalapeño.
Cook the Bacon
• Place bacon slices on the baking sheet, avoiding overlap. Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
• Remove from the oven and place bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up grease.
Make the Batter
• While the bacon is cooking, make the batter.
• In a clean mixing bowl, combine flour, cheddar cheese, corn, baking powder, liquid egg, jalapeño to taste (if you’re averse to heat, only use ⅔ or less), green onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
• Stir together until incorporated.
Prepare the Crema
• In a clean mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, juice of the lime to taste and half the lime zest to taste, ½ the cilantro (reserving a bit for garnish), and a pinch of salt and pepper.
• Stir until incorporated.
• Place crema in refrigerator to chill before serving.
Cook the Fritters
• Warm 2 Tsp. olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
• Using a spoon or measuring cup, ladle the batter (one fritter = ⅙ of the batter) into the hot sauté pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown, crisp, and firm.
• Repeat process for remaining fritters, adding more oil 1 Tsp. at a time as needed, to make 6 fritters total.
Plate the Dish
• Place 3 fritters on a plate.
• Lay 3 pieces of bacon next to the fritters.
• Top fritters with the cilantro-lime crema and garnish with remaining cilantro.